The Historical Showplace of Washington Court House
The Fayette County Historical Society Museum was built in 1875 by Morris Sharp with the stated purpose of erecting "the Showplace of Washington Court House". This Victorian Italianate home was purchased by The Historical Society in 1958 for $15,000 and opened as a museum in October 1965. The museum proudly displays 14 rooms that contain fine pieces depicting the County's history. A visit to the museum's tower, by way of the spiral stairs, offers a spectacular panorama of the city. The museum is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.