The Fayette County Building Department

is accepting resumes for a full time position of Building/ Electrical inspector.


Candidates must be certified by the State of Ohio as a Residential or Commercial Building Inspector and be certified as an Electrical Inspector.

Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and qualify to be insured under the County’s insurance policy.

This position offers the following benefits package:

Medical Insurance /PERS Retirement /10 paid holidays / 2 weeks paid vacation after one year

Salary range: $22.00 to $27.30 Part time may be considered

Email Resume to:

Mail Resume to: Fayette County Building Dept, 121 East East St, Washington Court House, OH 43160 Attn: Jay Myers.

Stay connected . . .

and avoid delays

Contact Us . . .

Address, Phone, Fax & Hours of Operation

Fayette County Building Department

121 E. East Street

Washington Court House, OH 43160

Phone: 740.335.2212

Fax: 740.335.6644



Monday thru Friday

7:30 am - 4:00 pm

Closed 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm for lunch

Building Department Staff

Jay Myers

Chief Building Official



Robert Powers



Lori Rinehart

Permit Coordinator



Kara Bruney

Receptionist/Contractor Coordinator


Map to Fayette County Building Department

Helpful Code . . .

For Current List of Applicable Codes from the

Ohio Board of Building Standards

"click here"

Below is a link to

the ICC

Information . . .

Services, topics, & requirements  for your building needs.

Permit Apps & Fees

Contractor Registration

Inspection Requirements

Floodplain Management


Permit Applications and Fees

The following forms are provided so they may be printed and filled in. This saves a trip to the Building Department to acquire them. If you have any questions on which applications you need or how to fill them out, please contact us.

The fee forms are provided so you may calculate a close estimate of what your permit fees will be for your project. For the actual final cost please contact us at the Building Department.

Please be sure that applications have been reviewed and approved by the Building Department before beginning any work on your project. Failure to do so could lead to unnecessary delays and problems for your project.

It is important that documentation from all other local, state and federal requirements be submitted with the application.

The Building Department provides courtesy inspections when renovating or changing use of a structure. This will prevent nasty surprises from a code standpoint.


The pdf forms above require Adobe Reader

Contractor Registration

The Fayette County Building Department's Contractor Registration Program took effect on June 1, 1997.

ALL contractors (including sub-contractors) working in Fayette County are required to register with the Building Department.

Use the links on the right for the appropriate forms or information that fit your particular situation.

For questions regarding Contractor Registration call Kara Bruney 740.335.2212

The above pdf forms require Adobe Reader

Inspection Requirements

The following form is provided so that it may be printed and used as a check list for minimum required inspections.  If you have any questions regarding which inspections you need, please contact the Building Department.



The pdf forms require Adobe Reader

Floodplain Management

The Floodplain Management Office is located within the Fayette County Building and Zoning Departments. The Floodplain Manager is Jay Myers.

The Floodplain Resolution was passed in May of 1995 to participate in the floodplain management. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is a Federal program enabling property owners in "participating communities" to purchase insurance protection against losses from flooding. The insurance is designed to provide an insurance alternative to disaster assistance to meet the escalating costs of repairing damage to building and their contents caused by flood.

Participation in the NFIP is based on an agreement between local communities and the Federal Government that states that if a community will adopt and enforce a floodplain management ordinance or resolution to reduce future flood risks to new construction Special Flood Hazard Areas, the Federal Government will make flood insurance available within the community as financial protection against flood losses.

The Zoning Department, Building Department, County Engineer and Health Department (see links) all have instructions to send potential flood areas to the Flood Plain Manager who will make a determination, based on presented data and good engineering practices, if a property is in a potential flood hazard area. The other departments cannot issue permits without clearance from the Floodplain Manager.

For more information about the NFIP and flood insurance, call 800-427-4661 or go to . . .

Also see: ODNR Division of Water


The Building Department is here to ensure the safety of all residents of Fayette County by enforcing current building codes. If you believe someone is violating a building code and you want to let us know: 1) print out the form below 2) fill it out 3) bring it to the Fayette County Building Department. We will investigate the complaint as soon as possible.

The above pdf form requires Adobe Reader

Not sure what to do? Call the Fayette County Building Department at 740.335.2212 to discuss your question or project needs.

Jay Myers - Chief Building Official

Frequently Asked Questions . . .

1. When is a permit required? - Back to FAQ

Permits are required for any new construction, as well as alterations and additions to existing building, including structural,

plumbing, mechanical, electrical, manufactured housing, boiler and elevator work. Some examples of when a permit is

required are as follows;

        • New buildings including storage buildings, boat houses, greenhouses, screen enclosures and gazebos

        • Masonry fence walls

        • Re-roofing

        • Swimming pools (in-ground or above- ground), spas and hot tubs

        • Temporary buildings (construction, etc.)

        • Demolition

        • Room additions

        • Patios and decks

        • Driveways and parking pads

        • Interior alterations and renovations

        • Structural repairs

        • New electrical, plumbing, gas and air-conditioning systems

        • Fire sprinkler systems

        • Signs

        • Awnings

        • Fireplaces and wood burning stoves

        • Fire suppression hood system

This is not a complete list. If you are uncertain whether a building permit is required, please contact the Building Depart.

2. When is a permit not required? - Back to FAQ

Approvals shall not be required for the following. Exemption from the requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant

authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances

of this jurisdiction;

        • House alarm systems, burglar systems

        • One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 sq. ft. (18.58 square meters)

        • Fences 6' and under

        • Retaining walls that are not over 4' (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall,

          unless supporting a surcharge

        • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18927 L) and the ratio of

          height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to I

        • Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30" (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below

        • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work

        • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24" (610 mm) deep

        • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one-, two- or three-family dwelling

        • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which does not project more than 54" from the exterior wall and does

          not require additional support:

If you are uncertain whether a building permit is required, please contact the Building Department.

3. What inspections are required for utilities? - Back to FAQ

Utility companies require inspections to tum on services that have been disconnected. A permit is required for us to perform

the inspection.


        We provide inspections for:

        • Service Releases

        • Temporary Services

        •  Service Upgrades


We provide inspections for gas services and gas piping.

4. Do I need a permit to construct a pool? If so, what are the requirements? - Back to FAQ

Yes, you do need a permit to construct a pool. This may also include blow- up pools as well that may be over 24" deep. To

review the requirements follow this link.

5. Do I need a permit to construct a deck? If so, what are the requirements? - Back to FAQ

Yes, you do need a permit to construct a deck. To review the requirements follow this link.

6. Do I need a state license for commercial projects? - Back to FAQ

Yes, you do need a state license for commercial projects. To understand why follow this link. The exception would be the

general contractor.

7. How do I become a registered contractor in Fayette County? How do I renew my registration? - Back to FAQ

To see how to become a registered contractor or renew your registration follow this link.

8. Who answers my floodplain questions? - Back to FAQ

Contact the Floodplain Manager at the Building Department or see the Floodplain Management page.

9. Can I build in a floodplain? - Back to FAQ

Possibly, see Floodplain Manager.

10. Do I need a permit for a barn used for agricultural purposes? - Back to FAQ

The determination of agricultural exemption can only be made by the Zoning Official. If an agricultural exemption is granted,

no building permit will be required.

11. What if I disagree with the results of an inspection? - Back to FAQ

Feel free to ask our inspector to cite the code section that they are referencing or contact our office and speak to the Chief

Building Official.

12. How do I determine fees for a permit? - Back to FAQ

Fee schedules are available to you on line to give you an idea of how we determine the fees. You are not responsible for

determining your own fees. The Building Official will determine the fees. You do not pay any fee upon the submittal of your

application. You will pay when it has been approved and ready for you to pick up.

13. Do I have to hire an architect or engineer to design my project? - Back to FAQ

An architect or engineer is not required on most residential projects. A homeowner or the contractor may design their own project for submittal. Commercial projects are required to have an architect or engineer stamp on all submitted plans for review. There are some exceptions to this rule. Such as change of use and occupancy permits. The Building Official will make this determination.

14. When does my permit expire? - Back to FAQ

Residential permits are good for one year. However, work must begin within three months. If you cannot complete your

project within the one year period, you may request an extension for up to six months. Commercial permits are good for one


15. When am I required to obtain local zoning approval? - Back to FAQ

You are required to obtain local land use/zoning approval for any new structure and for work that improves a structure,

increases the area or height of a structure or changes the use of a structure. You may contact the Building Department for

more information or see the Zoning page, follow this link.

16. What is required to install a manufactured home? - Back to FAQ

Contractors must be licensed by the Ohio Manufactured Homes Commission. They must also be registered and bonded with

the county. For more information contact the Building Department or follow this link to OMHC.

Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)

for State of Ohio

. . . are those government officials who are the final authority

on questions in a particular area (or jurisdiction).

Helpful Links . . .

Always call before you dig — It's the Law!


Remember, safe digging means calling . . .



8-1-1 or 1-800-362-2764

. . . before ANY type of landscape or excavation work. Lines have been hit digging, such things as, fence post holes, anchoring supports for decks and swing sets, planting trees, removing tree roots and driving landscaping stakes into the ground. By not calling, you're not only breaking the law, but also risking injury to yourself, your family or work crew and the surrounding community.


To learn more about 8-1-1, visit

Enforcing code to provide residents a safe living and working environment

Fayette County Building Department

"Call Before You Dig"





Call Monday thru Friday 7:30am to 4pm

Building Department 740 - 335 - 2212

If there is any information that you would like to see added to to this web site please contact:

Copyright © 2013 Fayette County Commissioners - All right reserved